Entree • LotsaVeggies, Optionally veg*n, Soup/Stew, Weeknight
Serving size: 4
- 1c brown rice
- ½ c cowpeas
- 2 Tbl oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 large potatoes , cubed (or 1 potato and 1 turnip)
- 1 c. diced cooked chicken, 1 can chickpeas, paneer, or tofu (pick one)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger , grated
- 1 minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- ¾ c. water
- 400 g spinach or 400 g chard leaves , stalks removed, roughly chopped
- 1/4-1/2 c. coconut milk (opt)
- Cook the rice and beans together in 3 c water and ½ tsp salt for 45 mins (20 Oz water /20 mins if pressure cooking).
- Meanwhile, Sauté the onion in oil.
- Add the potato, ginger, garlic, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, and salt and fry until fragrant.
- Add 1/2 c. water, stir to make sure potatoes aren't sticking, cover, and simmer 5-7 minutes until potatoes are nearly done. Add more water if needed to keep potatoes from sticking.
- Add the spinach or chard (and chicken, if using) and cook until it collapses over the potato.
- Add coconut milk at the end, if using. Adjust salt and water to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve over rice.
- Serve with rice or naan.