Wendy's July Fourth Go-to American Flag Cake
Source: Wendy Foster, CMP, Director of WOW courtesy of thespruceeats
- 18 1/4 ounces vanilla cake mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 9 ounce frozen whipped topping (slightly thawed)
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 to 2 pints raspberries
- Gather the ingredients.
- Prepare cake in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, according to package directions.
- Let cake cool 15 minutes, then invert onto a serving platter to cool completely. Freeze cake while you prepare the frosting (this makes the flag cake easier to frost).
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, whipped topping, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Frost flag cake with this frosting.
- To decorate your flag cake, outline a square in the top left corner with blueberries. Fill in with remaining blueberries, leaving some white space showing through. These are the stars on your flag cake.
- Make several lines of raspberries next to and below the blueberries. These are the stripes of your flag cake. Refrigerate flag cake until ready to serve.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This ooh-and-aaaah-and-WOW ya cake is the perfect patriotic dessert, and Wendy, the Director of WOW, spills the secret that this patriotic cake is easy peasy to prepare. Shhhh if you bake to impress.
- Tips from the Spruce Eats
- If your frosting seems a bit runny, freeze the cake 15 to 45 minutes before adding the berries. Then you can either freeze the flag cake until 2 hours before serving (leave it out to thaw) or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Vanilla cake mix is a great option, but if you prefer you can use a white or yellow cake mix.
- Another option for this impressive cake is a patriotic poke cake. After baking the cake, poke holes and insert the berries. That way, every slice of the cake has a patriot look and a delicious, berry-infused flavor.
- A great way to dress up your cake and draw attention to it is to place sparklers on it when it's time to serve it up. Light the sparklers and sing Happy Birthday to the United States!